Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mancala!

Words with Friends got nothing on Mancala! I used to love playing this game when I was younger I had my own wooden board with the stones as well as the computer game! If you don't know how to play mancala its pretty simple however I am not going to try and explain, but you can read how here. After a little research I found out that mancala comes from the Arabic word naqala meaning "to move." I also found out that mancala  isn't the name of the game but is the name of the family of these types of games which are count and capture games. Mancala games are played in many African and Asian societies and is often called Kalah or Oware. The game dates back to between 500 and 700 AD in Ethiopia and Eritrea. Thanks wikipedia! Either way I was reminded of the game when my mom says that her students love to play at school. I decided if I am ever rich and excessive I am going to have a room in my house just for playing mancala. In the center of the room will be an a beautifully elaborate wooden mancala board sculpted in the shape of an elephant with gems to play with. Sounds fun right? Below are some images I found of people playing the game throughout Africa. 




1 comment:

  1. Mancala is such a great game. I never get tired of it. The history of the game is interesting... also the pics of the board with 4 rows... I'm used to the classic 2 rows.

    ReplyDelete