Friday, July 22, 2011

Roll Call Y'all

All of this summer heat is reminding me of my favorite summer movies. Especially Do the Right Thing, one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a classic Spike Lee Joint! What better way to honor this heat than a movie that centers around the hottest day in Bedstuy, Brooklyn. Below is a clip from the movie, one of my favorite scenes. When Samuel L Jackson the DJ for WLUV radio does a roll call of the influential African American musicians from different time periods. I love this scene because it's shows history. I remember at a Akwaaba ( meaning welcome in Ashanti a language from Ghana) dinner we would have at Drew. Professor Addo would take a moment before we ate to have students, professors, anyone shout out names of people they wanted to be remembered. He said this was often done in Ghana to remember and show respect to your ancestors and those who came before you. Which is shown in this video. My Pan African Studies degree is really showing itself here, but I love thinking about the African diaspora. Enjoy, but really see the whole movie if you haven't already!

No comments:

Post a Comment