Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Return of the Leading Ladies

Today marks the first official full day of summer. It's been a long time coming but the season is officially here. Growing up I always spent my summers chilling in nature with my best friend Isabelle jamming out to whatever classic summer tunes we were obsessed with. Good music always sets the tone as a soundtrack for a great summer. So many artists are releasing their CDs in hopes to be the summer song everyone has on repeat. However for me there are two ladies I am so happy are back on the scene. Every girl (or at least me and Isabelle) went through a Fiona Apple and Cat Power phase growing up. I remember the first time I heard the song Free by Cat Power. Isabelle introduced it to me and it blew my world. I was instantly obsessed with the honest grit soaked with Blues in her voice. I can't tell you how many times I have listened to Fiona Apples song Sullen Girl, that song definitely got me through puberty haha. Followed by basically every songs she has ever made, I was and still am obsessed with Apple. After both these artists have been on a hiatus from releasing new music for years I am SO delighted both wonderfully talented women have returned with new sounds and amazing sounds at that. Below is Fiona Apple performing on Jimmy Fallon with The Roots. Apple performed the song Anything We Want off her new album The Idler Wheel is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cord Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever DoFollowed by Cat Powers new song Ruin off her new album Sun. I cannot wait to listen to both these albums I already know they will be the soundtrack to my summer. 



1 comment: